This course is designed for people who are interested or aspiring to join the music production industry, aiming to provide comprehensive and professional music production training. In addition to systematically teaching the knowledge of music production, the course instructor also provides students with opportunities to apply and practice. Through different assignments and studio production, with musical ear training, students can accumulate and master composition, arrangement, digital recording, “Practical” experience and skills in different positions and fields, such as mixing and producer.
After completing this course, students should be able to
- Master the skills of composition
- Master the skills of making high-quality demo tapes (Demo)
- Understand the theory of popular music and the application of popular piano
- Understand and master the skills of arrangement
- Master the operation and application of digital music software
- Understand and master recording, sound editing and control skills
- Master the skills, knowledge and decision-making skills needed to become an outstanding song producer
This course is taught by well experienced music producers, composers, professional musicians and senior professionals in the industry, including Kelvin Ngai / Ronald Ng / Lai Ying Tong Edwina/ Yu Yat Yiu / Hubert Leung / Samuel Chan / DJ Galaxy / Tsang Chun Ping / Jayden Chow, etc. or Other relevant Instructors
Language(s) of instruction
Mainly in Cantonese (supplemented in English)
- Practical grade 5 piano or equivalent qualifications AND pass the Associated Board of the Royal Schools of Music grade 5 Music Theory Examination or equivalent qualifications or
- Completed the basic course of music composition or
- Passed the audition (including submission of personal works, submission of musical training background, etc. Please contact our staff for details.)
In order to meet the learning needs of the course, it is recommended that students configure the following basic equipment by themselves:
- Laptop (Mac) (Semester 1 and above)
- Logic Pro X (Semester 1 and above)
- Antares Auto-Tune, Pro Tools and iLok USB key (semester 2 and above)
Course assessment and certificate awarding
- To successfully complete the entire course, the student must maintain 70% of attendance rate, an assessment must be completed, and a passing score of at least 50 marks must be obtained.
- Successful completion of the designated semester will be awarded with the relevant professional certificate or professional diploma
The 1st semester of the Diploma in Pop Music Production Course (MIDI and Digital Recording Technology Course and Popular Music Composition Course (1)) has been added to the list of reimbursable courses under the Continuing Education Fund. For details, please visit www.wfsfaa.gov.hk/cef/en/index.htm
* The office of the Continuing Education Fund does not have a QF registration record for this course
This diploma course is divided into three semesters, covering four major areas of music production:
Composing is the first step in producing professional popular music. The course covers a variety of melodic writing techniques, analysis and theories, laying an important foundation for a professional song. At the same time, under the guidance of a number of composers who are active in the Hong Kong music industry, students will have a better understanding of how professional composers integrate different musical elements and evolve into more successful pieces.
(2) Music Technology
Guide students to master the skills of digital technology to transform music concepts into professional demo tapes (Demo), and learn various music production software application skills to fully understand how to make professional popular music.
In this chapter, students can fully understand the functions of various musical instruments in arrangement, and master the arrangement skills of different song styles, and cooperate with the melody to match songs with better arrangement.
(4) Song Producer
Elite Music Producer Course for Song Production is regarded as the most important and the most comprehensive chapter. This chapter will teach students with well balanced on theory and practice, simulate professional music production procedures, understand the requirements of true professional standards, and improve the Composing, writing, arranging, recording, mixing, creative and market judgment skills, and will arrange for professional composers in Hong Kong music to share valuable experience and provide guidance, so that students can further understand the actual work of production and related professional knowledge, and set high-level goals for final project to become an excellent music producer.
- Semester 1 – MIDI & DIGITAL AUDIO’ AND ‘POP MUSIC COMPOSITION I’ [2 MODULES FROM PROFESSIONAL DIPLOMA IN POP MUSIC PRODUCTION OFFERED BY BARON SCHOOL OF MUSIC] (Has been added to Continuing Education Fund Reimbursable Course List)
- Semester 2 – Popular Music Arrangement and Advanced Popular Composition Course
- Semester 3 – Elite Song Supervision Course
Module 1 – MIDI & Digital Audio
– Basic equipment and settings for personal home recording studio
– Basic knowledge of MIDI and digital recording
– Logic Pro usage skills
– Basic song writing, creating song paragraphs
– Making high-quality demo skills
– Entry level skills in recording and editing
Module 2 – Pop Music Composition I
– Musical ear training
– Popular music theory and popular piano techniques
– Analyzing melody structure
– Skills for creating different styles of melody
– Understanding the segmented structure of songs
– Teaching Hook line creation
– Filling in demo lyrics skills